Old October 18th 17, 09:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Wade Garrett

Default Power Supply Failure?

On 10/18/17 2:29 PM, Boris wrote:
Hi,

Machine is a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop, circa 2012, running VistaHP x86,
belonging to my 93 year-old mother-in-law. She called me to day and said
"It's broken".

The power button does nothing. When I hold in the power button, there's no
sound whatsoever. The fan in the back of the power supply does not spin,
but the little green light on the back of the power supply does glow green,
When unplugged, the light goes out. Other than that, nothing makes a
sound, and nothing else occurs.

Here's the power supply:

https://postimg.org/image/4hdxxqbwkr/

Sound like a PS issue?

TIA

For Pete's sake, get her a new computer with a decent operating system.

Sellers like NewEgg or MicroCenter have loads of nice ones for just a
few hundred bucks.

If money is tight, check out the refurbs NewEgg sells. I've picked up
several over the years and they all have been good.

And if you read the ad descriptions very carefully, you can identify the
ones that are in fact new but have been sitting in a distributor's
warehouse for a year of so and the manufacturer forces him to call them
refurb.

--
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time or money
making it.