Old April 5th 11, 03:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default choosing size of anti-glare filter for a Dell XPS one and DellST2420L 24" W Full HD Monitor

On 4/3/2011 9:54 PM, Paul wrote:
g wrote:

Currently that user is connected to a VGA port using a DVI adapter
something like

VGA port-DVI adapter-Wire from monitor

He does not face any image degradation now. He is a typical office
user, doing work in MS-Office, browsing the Web, watching some videos
etc.

Can I assume it would be OK to overlook the DVI(HDCP part)?

You can ignore it, until you receive your next service request :-)

It's possible he will never run into a problem. If he inserts an HD
commercial movie, say on a Blu Ray disc, the movie player program
he uses may put up a status message, instead of playing the movie.

I don't know if can play a Blu-Ray disc. He has only a DVD writer
LCD monitors come with the two finishes on the face. You can buy LCD
monitors
with a "matte" finish, which is intended as a glare solution. Or you
can buy monitors with a "crystal" or "glass" finish, which doesn't make
the image as fuzzy as matte does. For older users, under the right
lighting conditions, a "crystal" finish can be superior, because it
offers less parallax effects to text characters. ("Matte" looks like
you're looking through two layers of material.)

Thanks, instead of getting a anti-glare filter how about using a matte
screen protector such as
http://www.viewguard.com/en-us/24.0%...spect-Ratio%29

They appear to be a low cost option. Can you please offer some advice on it?

When installing monitors, and choosing the finish type, you look at the
local lighting conditions. For example, if I was in a location with lots
of overhead fluorescent or high pressure lighting, there would be multiple
reflections of lights coming off the monitor. I might go for a matte finish
in that case (although I might have to compromise on that, if some
other feature was more important to have). If the lighting is
more controlled, the older gentleman is in a private office, a desk lamp
can be strategically placed for lighting so the bulb doesn't bounce
off the screen, that might allow a monitor with a "crystal" finish.
Right now, I'm using a monitor with a "crystal" finish, and I have overhead
incandescent lighting, and I see no reflection at all from that.

A manufacturer could always try to add an AR coating to the exterior
of a "crystal" finish monitor, but the problem with AR coatings in
general, is they can be attacked by common household cleaners
(things like ammonia). In my life, I've ruined a couple monitor faces,
by cleaning them with ammonia based cleansers.

This web page, was prepared by someone who contacted various tech supports
at the LCD manufacturers, and got their advice. Some tech supports weren't
prepared for the question, while others had at least some advice to offer.
My "crystal" finish monitor can be cleaned with Windex, because it is
plain glass on the outside. My monitor is "sneeze proof" because cleanup
is a breeze.

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200...CDCleaning.htm

"The following cleaners are acceptable:

* Water
* IPA (Isoprophyl Alcohol)
* Hexane --- exposure limits ???
* Petroleum Benzine --- carcinogen ?

The following cleaners are unacceptable:

* Acetone
* Ethyl alcohol
* Toluene
* Ethyl acid
* Ammonia --- Why Windex might not be appropriate...
* Methyl chloride"

HTH,
Paul

Thanks a lot. That is very helpful. We use only water as a cleaner. We
use a damp cloth and wipe the screens