Old October 23rd 07, 01:56 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.hardware
J.J. O'Shea

Default DSL connection solved, but a new issue (2wire 2701-hg)!

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 06:53:47 -0400, Newbie wrote
(in article ):

André Igler wrote:

PPPoE = Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet, common for DSL
connections. Basically hooks up your modem to the ISP's network.

Fair enough but why did this work with 5360 and not with 2701-HG?

I suspect that the old unit didn't have a router, or if it did, that it
wasn't set up to handle PPPoE.

DHCP = Dynamic Host Control Protol, will run on a local/remote server
assigning you an IP # without having you fiddle with it. Also sets your
DNS (domain name system) server,

But wasn't the same happening with the 5360 and PPPoE?

Not necessarily. It depends on how the device was configured.

Guessing from what you /seem/ to know, you wouldn't want to bother any
forther, inasmuch as it seems to work now.

You may have a point there, but I'd like to get some idea.