Old January 7th 04, 08:00 AM
CBFalconer

gwyn lintern wrote:

I have a strange thing happening- probably hardware related. I am
using an older libretto 70 and 6Gb harddrive as an MP3 player. It
used to work fine. Now, after several months not using it, it
(drive access) has slowed down significantly so that the playback
of media, streaming or MP3 is very shaky (stop-start). I can't
think of anything I did to it in that time. Playback software
makes no difference.

The strange part is, if I make the HDD do something else (almost
anything else so that it is spinning 'harder' or reading more,
then the audio plays fine. By asking the computer to do something
else, it is almost as though it wakes up the drive in some way so
that it pays attention to its job. I think this may also be

.... snip ...

Have you got it set to spin down after a short inactivity period?

--
Chuck F ) )
http://cbfalconer.home.att.net USE worldnet address!