Old March 15th 21, 05:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default Monitor question

Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:
I have a Asus Strix 750ti GPU. It has 2GB of onboard video memory and
uses 8GB of shared system memory. According to its specifications, it
can apparently handle 3840x2160 resolution.

I have been happily running a monitor (Dell UltraSharp 2407wfp) at
1900x1200 native resolution. It's got about 12 years on it. I don't
really do computing which pushes the video card harder than casual games.

If I were to upgrade to a 4k monitor (3840x2160 resolution), would I
likely be pleased or unsatisfied with the results? By rough math, I
think I would use about 4 times as much memory (but I don't know how
to see how much I am actually using now!) That's assuming that 4k
uses 32-bit color too, Mainly I like "sharp crisp text".
Somehow,after reading some reviews, I ended up considering the Dell
2721Q monitor (which is almost $500). It seems as you get bigger
screens you need finer resolution to get "sharp crisp text"! ; )
(duh!) Anyone following GPUs in the news knows that this is a rather
poor time to be in the market for a GPU.

Any comments or suggestions based upon your experience is welcome!

Bill

P.S. I should add that I would intend to use DisplayPort (v 1.4)
connector instead of DVI.

You would check the standards support of your existing video card,
and see if the standard supports 60Hz operation at the
resolution of interest. Wikipedia articles on HDMI and DisplayPort,
have various tables for this issue.

One possible issue, is the version of HDCP. They don't figure it out
here, so I don't know what the issue is exactly. Will the OS agree
to run 4K without HDCP ? The hardware likely allows it, but the OS
tunes for max DRM. Video cards have had "added evil" to stop copying,
and the OS only has to tap into those calls, to sew up the copy hole.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...50-ti.2621525/

And no, I don't have a 4K monitor here. I've got two monitors on my
desk (run by two computers), and there isn't room for some huge
monitor. The reason the two monitors are on my desk, is the second
computer runs video conference, and the second computer is
further away, and less noise into my microphone. My lashup is there
so I can video conference, without fan noise from the first computer
being powered up.

I will be glad when some day, this video conference fetish will
have ended. The last video conference was a flop, when I couldn't
log into the damn thing. I had to take a phone call instead
(which as it happens, is all that was required anyway).

Paul