Old September 22nd 20, 05:19 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Arlen Holder

Default What PC hardware diagnostic stress-testing freeware can you recommend?

On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 03:58:07 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

The mouse is a USB optical mouse, which is so worn that whatever
manufacturer was printed on the outside is long gone, but the "Mouse
Properties" in the control panel says the manufacturer is Microsoft
and that it's an "HID-compliant mouse".
o Win+R control main.cpl Hardware Properties
But it's easier to just remember this instead:
o Win+R control mouse
[I strive to do everything from the Win+R menu that I can.]

Looking at the same info in the Device Manager for the mouse:
Win+R devmgmt.msc
I noticed I have it set to be able to wake the computer but for the
computer not to turn it off in low power situations, which is fine.

The Sieber USB Device Tree Viewer tells me something completely different
though, as it says the "idVendor" is Lenovo, and the iProduct Language
is "Lenovo USB Optical Mouse", which I didn't expect since the Device
Manager said it's Microsoft. Oh oh. Logitech also shows up, so maybe the
USB tree view is "remembering" old devices since the app has been running
for days on end. Let me kill & restart it after clearing out all the USB
entries by running the Sieber "Device Cleanup" tool.

Nope. All three, Microsoft, Lenovo, and Logitech show up in the Sieber USB
Device Tree Viewer for that port. Go figure.

So I plug in a mouse that says it's a "GE" mouse (who knew that GE made
mice?), and I clear out the old USB devices in the registry and I restart
the Sieber USB Tree View, and now it doesn't say Lenovo or Microsoft
anymore for that mouse.

It doesn't say GE or General Electric either.
o It just says "USB Optical Mouse"

The Device Manager says "Microsoft Mouse" so I think that's what it must
say for all mice, AFAICT.

Funny thing is I pressed "View all Events" in teh device manager for the
mouse and it said "Add snap-in" whatever that is, and then after a minute
of that "Adding snap-in to console" stuff, it brought up the event viewer.
o https://i.postimg.cc/mDCjtT7K/mousediag01.jpg

But the events were just the plugin and plugout that I just did.
o What's this "Snap-in" stuff anyway?
https://kb.iu.edu/d/ajlv
Win+R mmc File Add/Remove Snap-in
(Jesus, there are a lot!)

Anyway, in the twenty or so minutes using this second mouse it hasn't hung
up so I suspect time will tell, but maybe that one particular mouse if
flaky (although it's got a good connection as Sieber would have told me if
it had disconnected momentarily).

Anyway, I think I need a new mouse.