Old August 19th 17, 01:40 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Robert Nichols[_2_]

Default WD1600YS is not 160GB

On 08/18/2017 07:22 AM, wrote:
I have a WD1600YS disk, and try to clone it to another WD 160 GB disk,
but Clonezilla tells me that it is 165 GB!
So look at the label, it says 160 GB, but also 321672960 LBA.
Then look at other WD drives in the junk shelf, and they are 312581808 LBA.
So first world problem, I complain I got a few free GB.
Now I recall IBM/Hitachi used to make "164 GB" drives.
Why can't fricken WD put the right numbers on a label?

Almost all disk drives have slightly more than their nominal capacity.
You only run into this problem when you allocate more than that exact
nominal capacity to partitions. Yes, it's a bummer when it bites you.