Old July 14th 09, 05:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

Default Could a mini-PCIe SSD card work in a motherboard PCIe slot?

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 18:46:20 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
wrote:

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message
m...
I have a 4GB SSD card left over from upgrading an ASUS
EeePC 900A, I hate to see it go to waste.

Also, I might replace the mini-PCIe wireless G card, with a
wireless N MIMO card. Is there any chance that could be
made to work in the motherboard slots?

Luck;
Ken

P.S. I realize that they don't physically fit, and you would need
an adapter/riser.

Given enough time searching you could probably find an
adapter for one or both, but it probably isn't worthwhile.
Even though such an adapter card would in many cases be a
simple pin adapter or have only a bridge chip, it's a niche
product selling in low volume with little competition in the
market so prices will be fairly high for what they are.

Wireless 11g cards have been $10 and less after rebate for
the last few years, an adapter would probably cost at least
$20. Since you seem to have an 11n capable wifi network
(assumed since you want to replace an 11g card with an 11n
in the notebook), getting an 11n card for the desktop system
is probably the best option.

The 4GB SSD is bound to be slow, you could probably sell it
for $10 and then get a 8GB CF card and a IDE-CF or SATA-CF
adapter if you need this volume to emulate a hard drive for
booting and running an OS (though still relatively slow for
either use), though either seems limited in functionality
assuming the desktop will have a regular HDD in it still,
the best use would seem to be a backup storage device not
prone to the breakdowns that HDDs sometimes face, in which
case capacity seems most important.

As Paul mentioned a miniPCIe card could use PCIe bus or USB
interface, but since the SSD presumbly uses PCIe, you could
just get the miniPCIe (bus interface) adapter card and try
the wifi card in it as well as the SSD.

There are a few adapter cards here, though probably more
elsewhere if you devote enough time to find them:

http://www.hwtools.net/Buy_It_Now.html