Old July 13th 09, 02:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Default Could a mini-PCIe SSD card work in a motherboard PCIe slot?

Ken Maltby wrote:
"Ken Maltby" wrote in message
I have a 4GB SSD card left over from upgrading an ASUS
EeePC 900A, I hate to see it go to waste.

Also, I might replace the mini-PCIe wireless G card, with a
wireless N MIMO card. Is there any chance that could be
made to work in the motherboard slots?

Luck;
Ken

P.S. I realize that they don't physically fit, and you would need
an adapter/riser.

There is an interesting table at the bottom of this page. It
compares the pinouts of three different form factors of PCI
Express standards.

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/...ress_Mini_Card

The connector standards aren't all created equal. The ExpressCard
and Express Mini form factors, have USB2 pins on the connector.
Some of the Wifi devices, have USB2 for the MAC chip. Which
means, they don't use the PCI Express RX and TX data signals.
They're effectively no different than a USB Wifi dongle.

So if you were to consider an adapter, you need a different
solution, depending on whether the device is using the USB2
pins, or the device is using the PCI Express pins. If it is
a USB2 device, it'll end up plugged into a motherboard 2x5
USB header or rear USB connector.

Paul