Old August 18th 03, 12:53 AM
David Cohen

I downloaded cdspeed some time in the past. As I recall it told be
just about everything I ever tried had errors, usually giving up
before completion. I gave up on cdspeed and have been living happily
since and forever after.
Dave Cohen

mcheu wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 18:55:19 GMT, R. Paul Martin
wrote::

I've just gotten Nero 6 and I've run CD-DVD Speed 2.01 on some CD-Rs I
had handy. I figured that I'd get results which showed that my CD-Rs
were perfect. Was I ever unpleasantly surprised!

I know what C2 errors are, from having been on this news group for
years and from a Google search last night. I know that the disks can
still be read - for now. But I am concerned. I have stuff archived
on these things and I'd sort of counted on the disks remaining good
for at least 10 years or so.

All of the media I use are either TY or Kodak. The latter is what was
recommended by the burner manufacturer. I don't have all that many
Kodaks left, but I do have hundreds of them which have been burned.
I'm archiving a lot of stuff and now I'm wondering what to do.

C2 errors can be reported by the reading drive for any number of wacky
reasons. All it means is that it encountered a problem on its first
try. This can be caused by any number of innocuous causes, including
a dirty drive lense, a smudge on the disc, a dirty environment, etc.
I wouldn't say it's something to worry about unless the errors are
reproduceable in multiple tests and in testing on at least one other
drive.

At any rate, if the data you're archiving is really important, it
wouldn't hurt to make a second backup and store them separately.
Thanks,

MCheu