Old October 21st 07, 07:46 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.hardware
J.J. O'Shea

Default Help! DSL modem is dead

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 13:26:33 -0400, Newbie wrote
(in article ):

J.J. O'Shea wrote:

If I were you I'd get a router while I was at it, but that's me.

If I understand correctly, that would help only if we plan to connect
two or more computers to internet?

It also will NAT away your computer, so that annoying people have a problem
getting on your machine remotely.

Or is it necessary even if we might want to connect one computer
wirelessly one day?

Not necessary, but a good idea.

And if you're using wireless, do NOT use WEP.

Still, I do see that now is the time decide before buying a new modem.

When you say router, is that a separate item from modem or is that just
a more complex kind of modem?

Separate from the modem.

Sorry, not sure about such basics! Thanks for all help.