Old May 17th 05, 07:29 PM
Pug

"deus maximus" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...

Montana Pete wrote:

Hello fellow Adaptec Users

I have 10 computers that have Adaptec SCSI controllers installed. One
uses a 39320 card, but most use 39160 cards. All the SCSI cdrom's are
Plextor UltraPlex units also known as the PX-32CS. I have a boot CD I
have created to run Norton ghost and copy disks, create images, and
restore from images. On the older motherboards I have no problems, and
I can boot from a cdrom just fine, but on the more recent motherboards
I have a variety of problems that I have developed workarounds for,
but it's still a PIA.

I have two P4T-E motherboards.

On the first one if I boot from the CD I get the message "A bootable
disk has been detected. I has been assigned as drive A: and your A:
diskette has been reassigned as drive B:". Not exactly the verbage,
but you all have seen it and know what I am talking about. If I let
the boot process continue normally the system will ignore the CD and
boot from the first hard disk drive. If I put a diskette, any
diskette, in drive A: then the system will boot from the cdrom drive.
My workaround for this system is to keep an old recovery diskette in
the drive and insert it any time I want to boot from the cdrom.

On the second one if I boot from the CD I get the message "A bootable
disk has been detected. I has been assigned as drive A: and your A:
diskette has been reassigned as drive B:" . If I let the boot process
continue normally the system will ignore the CD and boot from the
first hard disk drive. If I put a non-bootable diskette in drive A: I
get the normal "not a system disk. Insert a bootable disk and press
any key". If I put a DOS boot disk in drive A: the system will boot
from it. My workaround for this system is to keep a copy of the
diskette I used to make the bootable image for the ghost CD and insert
that when I want to boot from the cdrom. The diskette loads DOS and
the cdrom drivers, then switches to the CD and loads ghost.

I have two P4C800 motherboards.

The first one works identically to the second P4T-E, so I keep a
diskette with the CD boot image on it in that machine also.

snip

I have the earlier 19160 Adaptec connecting a HDD and 2 CDD drives
on the P4P800. No problemo--I would contact Adaptec support and
also look for an Adaptec bios fix.
--
Best Regards,

I've had an issue with the Asus A7N8X deluxe bios with scsi devices in the
past.

If I flash the motherboard bios to have the latest Silicon Image Sata bios
installed it will not boot correctly, i.e. it will not see sata / scsi hdd's
or scsi / ide cdrom drives as boot devices and just hangs. Changing the
boot order or the sata / scsi bios order makes no difference, only disabling
the sata bios allows me to boot the machine. Flash the bios back to the
older version and no problems at all, installing the new sata bios into the
old motherboard bios also hangs the machine leading me to believe some
change in the sata bios has caused a problem. I reported this to Silicon
Image - no response, I reported it to Adaptec - no response. If its old
hardware then forget Adaptec they just don't care about bios problems if its
older than 6 months and Silicon Image don't even register the 3112a sata
interface as one of their products anymore.

Steve