Old August 26th 18, 04:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike S

Default SD card problems

On 8/25/2018 7:12 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
Mike S wrote:

On 8/25/2018 1:34 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
Mike S wrote:

I think the card is junk and the EBAY seller isn't responding, I'll
chalk it up to learning not to bottom-feed.

You could start a return process at eBay whether the seller agrees or
not. I don't remember how long eBay requires you try to contact the
seller before opening a case with eBay. If eBay cannot get the seller
to respond, you should be cover by their Buyer Guarantee which means
they'll pay you back. I've done this with eBay a couple times (out of
so many transactions that it hasn't soured me at all on buying at eBay
but I do a lot of investigation first). One time eBay refunded me
without me even asking them. Turns out some ahole had sliced up an MS
Office 2003 volume license the result of which is that buyers eventually
couldn't revalidate their license. They refunded in about a month
perhaps due to complaints from others. It was 2 years before I realized
why they refunded when I could get Ofc2003 revalidated after a fresh
install of the OS.

Thanks for the recommendations, I bought a Samsung 64GB 100MB/s (U3)
MicroSDXC EVO Select, fingers crossed. Thanks!

Come back and tell us the results, especially with a comparison of
CrystalDiskMark with the old and new SD cards.

I didn't get a chance to run the CrystalDiskMark but the file writing
was significanlty faster with the EVO. I think it was limited by the
speed of the USB external hdd the files were being copied from, on a
different computer writing from the SSD to the external hdd was about 23
MB/s if I remember correctly.

USB hdd to EVO in laptop SD card slow:
1% 21 MB/s
25% slowly dropped to 7.5 then increased to 11 MB/s
50% steadily increased to 18.2 MB/s
75% steadily increased to 22.6 MB/s
99% steadily increased to 24.7 MB/s

Thanks again for the recommendation, I'll be buying EVO from now on.

That's what I got for EVO as an SSD in my desktop PC for the OS & app
drive. I looked around for awhile, checked benchmarks, and durability.
The Samsung 850 EVO 250GB was good ($88 at 16 months ago). The Pro
isn't faster (https://preview.tinyurl.com/y83p73uv) but should survive
more write hammering at a 150% price premium. Now there's the Samsung
860 500GB EVO for $109. I still use HDDs for data and backup storage
since the price per bit is still a lot lower than using SSDs.

My old mobo only has SATA2 slots (yep, not even SATA3). When I get a
new mobo, the SATA3 will speed up the old SSD which become a data drive.
I'll eventually get a new mobo with even faster NVMe (SATA was designed
for spinners versus NVMe for SSDs) as an m.2 PCIe boot drive. See:

https://www.grcooling.com/blog/nvme-...ime-to-switch/

Eventually the PCs will cold boot faster than it takes me to sit down in
my desk chair. Press power button, poof, ready.

Great article, thanks, the NVMe SSD numbers are impressive.