Old July 24th 13, 10:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Paul

Default Help my PC is dying of heat exhaustion

Johann Klammer wrote:
Skybuck Flying wrote:
You are not alone.

My DreamPC for 2006 and fixed throughout the years also cannot handle
the heat.

Not even with an Antec 1200 case, somewhat cleaned.

At 27 celcius degrees, the CPU gets so hot that the motherboard's bios
shuts down the PC.

The temperature shutdown seems to be at 50 according to motherboard
settings.

Where's the thermal sensor placed?
If it is on the die itself, it'll show rather higher values than an
external one...

Look at his picture again.

http://www.skybuck.org/Winfast/Tempe...th1GHZMode.png

The silicon die has at least two sensors, if you believe the picture.

As for the other four listed sensors, sometimes those are fake (open circuit).

A person should load up Prime95 or cpuburn or similar 100% CPU program,
then watch *all* the sensors, to see which ones move, which ones
move fast, which ones move slow. The fast moving ones, are
right on the silicon die. The slow moving ones are
elsewhere. The rate of change will distinguish all but
a few, such as a Northbridge sensor from a motherboard
case ambient sensor.

I doubt they'd bother with the old socket sensor tape, when
the S939 has internal diode sensing.

I have a motherboard, where a "THRM" input accepts my RadioShack
thermistor, and I use that to measure room temperature outside
the case. Not many motherboards provide a two pin header for
that kind of thing. But that's an example of what they can do with
left over channels on the SuperIO hardware monitor.

Paul