Old April 12th 10, 01:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Massimo[_4_]

Default More or less safe to turn off power supply rocker switch?

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 02:39:00 -0400, "David W. Hodgins"
wrote:

On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 23:30:43 -0400, Nicholas Dreyer wrote:

I was leaning that way, but my only question regarding that approach
would be: Is there any risk to the motherboard from regularly turning
back on the low-level 5v "soft power"?

You will get different answers depending on peoples prior experiences.

My preference is to leave all electronics running 24/7, with
something like boinc running, to keep the cpu at 100% usage, all
of the time.

That way, everything stays at the same temperature.

My cpu (with a 14" fan blowing into the open case) runs at a steady
49C when clean. When it hits 55C, I clean the cpu heatsink, without
having to shut the system down.

My two hard drives run at 36C and 34C. They were running in the
high forties, before I started using the big fan, with the case
cover removed.

While the bearings on my hard drives may fail sooner, the
circuit boards do not undergo any thermal expansion/contraction,
so the rest of the computer should last longer.

As always, make sure all critical data is backed up offsite.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

I cannot believe my eyes reading this posting.
Are you serious?
This will cost you much extra money, only 'to protect the
motherboard', you significantly shorten the lives of your devices and
from the vuepoint of the environment...

Massimo