Old August 9th 18, 11:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default "Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 12:42:22 -0400, Michael Black
wrote:

But I've never had a hard drive problem. That goes back to 1993, when I
go tmy first hard drive.

I've moved on to different hard drives, but that's because of a different
computer or wanting more space. But none have failed, not even the ones
that had been used when I got them.

I'm sure that when I get around to turning on that computer from 2003,
which was used at the time, the hard drive will be fine. Though I
splurged on a new hard drive, a 160g, about 2006. But it stayed on most
of the time till I moved to a different computer in 2012.

Hard drives became reliable at some point, and so cheap.

And I'm yet to be convinced that an SSD is appreciably faster than a
mechanical hard drive. Though it helps that I leave the computer on, so
any "slowness" of booting is an iregular thing.

Michael

A SSD you have to work a little with for the appreciation factor, but
there is no need to be convinced about it, any more than a rooster can
stop itself from crowing when it senses the sun rising. Think copying
files, which are magnitudes, a minimum of two, three, and more, faster
than platters. Think of the pain in other than a relative
significance, say to time, not to be ignored when extensively
reworking large files as part of programming routine reserved for SSD
working areas.

HDDs were never reliable. They're prone to be more or less reliable
due to periods and episodes relating to manufacture reputation and
regard. Axiomatically that would equate into dog vernacular and every
one has its day.

It's like me saying I don't have car accidents. The insurance guys
love me when I say that. Their stock reply: 'Well then, aren't you
just an accident waiting to happen'. . . Or assessing a lawyer for
virtue;- they've all worked at the DA Office for a stint as a
prosecuting attorney, the good ones before setting up a private
defense council.

Sometimes the earth isn't flat and sometimes you just got to roll with
it.