Old December 5th 18, 04:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Copieing 60.000 items from Windows Live Mail extreme performance degradation

The performance degradation is very real, at least with these two "virtual drives" which are based on a real drive which was defragmented recently, perhaps not entirely...

But the performance degradation is very real... same pattern is occuring.

First it was 60 megabyte/sec very briefly or so or 30... then 20... then it quickly when down to 8, 6, 5.9 and so forth.

Now some of that can be explained by "disk cache", "ram cache" etc.

But the rest of the time it seems a more severe issue with NTFS.

Unless Microsoft is completely retarded and cannot compute a "real speed/sec" thingy... I don't think their that retarded.

I hope they used a "moving average" or some kind of "sliding window" to compute "speed/sec".

I think Microsoft did use something like that, if correct then this does indicate a strange performance degradation with NTFS.

Which basically disqualifies NTFS somewhat as a decent storage medium.

Hence why I normally used FILE DISK IMAGES... in case I need to move large quanTITIES of files from one drive/computer to another.

NTFS just completely sucks at reading/writing large quanTITIES of files.

No real surprise there... though now in 2018/windows 7... still stucking at this ?!

Can somebody please design/invent something better perhaps ?!

I am assuming it's an issue with NTFS and not IBM/Hitatchi harddisk reading/writing...

Performance is now down to 4 megabyte/sec and dropping like a BAD JAMES BOND movie...

I am not really amuzed by this and the files aren't even that big... mostly 4 kb, 2kb, the occasional 3 megabyte photo file.

So all-in-all very strange performance degradation.

I am glad NTFS exists cause inventing something like that might be a bit hard/tricky but I do feel like there something be something better possible.... that doesn't degrade so badly.

In case you were wondering how I performed/confirmed this suspicion it was done/and currently is doing as follows:

1. I created another virtual disk with computer management...

2. Formatted it quickly.

3. Then performed the same kind of copy from drive to drive (testtesttest).

What's even more alarming is that I did set VCL media player buffering (assuming it's working to not 30 seconds.... but even 60 seconds... I also tried to 300 milliseconds setting, it's not really influecing this test in any big way, currently 60 seconds is being used).

The performance degradation is real and dropping.... right now 3.24 megabyte/sec ?!

This kinda makes me go WTF ?!? hmmmm....

Probably seeks per second limitation. Harddisk can do about 100 i/o operations...

So copieing/seeking all these tiny little ****ty files... it's struggling with that...

But why is the bandwidth constantly dropping ? This seems a bit weird... it's like the NTFS accounting is GROWING... slowing it down significantly...

It's like NTFS has to see some kind of table first... find some kind of free entry... and dump/copy the file there... this should be done better somehow... but for example maintaining a pointer to the first free entry or so.... so it doesn't constantly have to seek this as well...

And/or I suspect it's going through some kind of list of entries/blocks/sectors... something like that...

As this list grows it slows down... which kinda sucks.

I have seen enough... the performance problem of copieing these ****ty little files is real.

Let's compute some numbers.

100 x 2 kb = 400 kilobyte/sec copies if all files were 2kb... ok 2 megabytes is not so bad.

Also what is up with "system" creating vhd disks ?! it cannot be throttled ?! it doesn't even show up in resource monitor ?!

Bit strange...

I also want throttling for all kinds of bandwidth/i/o in windows next version, but that is a different topic !

Take care Luke and Han lol.

Bye,
Skybuck.