Old December 9th 10, 08:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Carbonite Sneaks in

On Dec 9, 1:27*pm, Doug wrote:
On 12/9/2010 12:29 PM, wrote:

While I was updating an old Dell 600M running Windows XP that I did
not have on for several months, a program named Carbonite download
itself automatically onto my desktop. *I did not have the virus
software running as it was being updated also.

It apparently did not actually install itself, but it would not let me
delete it.

When I googled Carbonite, expecting to see a reference to Carbonite as
a virus issue, *I saw that it was a legit online backup service.

Has anyone else had this experience with Carbonite?

Larry

If it is actually a genuine Carbonite installer it is highly unlikely it
"downloaded itself."

A much more likely scenario would be that it was an opt out option
alongside some other download and the check-box went unnoticed. (like
they often do with toolbars, the "would you like to download zippygood
toolbar" and if you forget or don't notice to uncheck it you get the
toolbar.)

I've used Carbonite for sometime now and they seem to be a straight shooter.

Of course any file could be named anything but, I can't say I've ever
seen malware place itself visible on the desktop

As to why it was locked from deletion who knows. Windows. Right?

The message asking if I wanted a trial subscription popped up during
the windows update. The update was not finished so there was no
chance to opt out except when that message came up and appear the
software was in position in several places on harddrive and in the
registry. The invasion of registry really bothers me. It was
embedded in several places.

I have sent a message to the company and asked if they were aware this
activity in their name.

Larry