Old August 11th 16, 10:01 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Default "Hard Drive Stats for Q2 2016"

Lynn McGuire wrote

"Hard Drive Stats for Q2 2016"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-...rates-q2-2016/

"Q2 2016 saw Backblaze: introduce 8TB drives into our drive mix, kickoff a
pod-to-vault migration of over 6.5 Petabytes of data, cross over 250
Petabytes of data stored, and deploy another 7,290 drives into the data
center for a total of 68,813 spinning hard drives under management. With
all the ins-and-outs let’s take a look at how our hard drives fared in Q2
2016."

I am continuing to stay away from Seagates for now.

I have just got one Seagate 8TB external after being quite
put off by the 1 star ratings on Amazon and Newegg with
all drives available, didn’t have any real choice given that
I avoid WDC because they are unrecoverable if they go bad.

Seagate did take over Samsung which was my previous preferred
but its unlikely that I got a Samsung drive given that they were
always later to market with the biggest buyable drives.

Its been working fine. Pathetically inadequate sample tho.

WDC are beginning to worry me also.

It always has worried me.

Of course, Backblaze is a very harsh environment.

Less harsh than most domestic environments.

The HGST drives are looking freaking awesome.

Yeah, but not very easy to find in the retail market.

Aren't those the old IBM drives that had glass platters with the magic
pixie dust for a while ?

Same brand, yep. Clearly they did get their act into gear.