Old January 4th 05, 11:06 PM
Larc

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 01:13:47 +0530, "Amiman" wrote:

| Dumb question time please. I've often read about refurbished
| products being offered at a discount, sometimes not long after
| the type was first introduced into the market. I know the general
| meaning of the word in English, but exactly what does it indicate
| as a trade item ?
|
| I guess a used computer would be classed as 'refurbished' if it
| was cleaned up, had some defective or obsolete components
| replaced and then put up for sale again. But a refurbished
| motherboard ? Esp a model that was introduced only a couple
| of months back ?
|
| Are such items those that were damaged in shipping or had
| some manufacturing defects and were repaired ? Are they
| reliable ?

Some stuff that gets sold as "refurbished" actually hasn't had much of
anything done to it. A surprising number of electronic returns occur
not because there's something wrong with the item, but because
somebody was too stupid to know how to use it properly. Those items
sometimes get a more thorough checking out than they did before they
were shipped originally. I've got some excellent buys of refurbished
things like video cards that have held up very well.

Larc