Old October 17th 20, 05:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
David W. Hodgins

Default Can a weak CMOS battery prevent detection of a drive

On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 23:07:55 -0400, Paul wrote:
When Macrium clones, it also only transfers the occupied
clusters, which is like a "free TRIM" in a sense. "dd"
transfers from SSD to SSD would transfer all blocks,
which burns up a lot of the free pool on the destination,
and can benefit from issuing a TRIM per partition
in the Optimize panel later.

I manually create and format the new partitions, and then use rsync to transfer
the files. That's also how I do my primary backup of data. In run level 1, with
any remaining user processes killed I run ...
time nice -n 19 ionice -n 7 rsync -auvxSHXAP --specials --sparse --delete --exclude="lost+found" /home/dave/ /aback/home/dave/

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change to for
email replies.