Old August 11th 03, 05:54 AM
Rod Speed

Frank McMahon wrote in message

It's a 160 GB / 7200rpm -
http://westerndigital.com/en/products/wd1600b008.asp

Setup went perfect however I can't seem to get the speed where it should
be. I am formatted as NTFS, the USB 2.0 is a PCI Adaptec DuoConnect
with 3 USB 2.0 and 2 Firewire ports (I have nothing in the other ports yet).

I run a benchmark program

Which one ?

on my internal Western Digital and get 33 MB/sec read write. Excellent.

Run benchmark's on the external USB 2.0 drive
and get Read 10MB/sec and Write 8315KB/sec

Is this it? Should I not get like 33 MB/sec? I need to edit video and
thought the USB 2.0 would at least be as fast as my internal.

Nar, even a firewire external is a bit slower than an internal, depending
on what type of benchmark you use, how it moves the data etc.

I installed all the latest XP Pro service packs, system is completely
up to date on HD drivers. Also installed the latest Adaptec USB 2.0
card drivers (Enchanced Host Controler).

I just bought the drive and can return it, but Western Digital
tech support can't figure it out. All they suggest is download
the latest drivers and that is what I have done.

Any other options?

Get a firewire one instead.

Does it sound like there is a problem

Hard to say without knowing which benchmark you used.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/sto...0gb-ext_4.html
has some benchmarking data on the 250GB version, see what
you get with the same benchmark software and configs.

or is this all a USB 2.0 external drive can give?

Thats well down on what some of the reviews have got.
But not if you are using small block sizes in the benchmark.
But again, depends on which benchmark you used.

The system is a P4, couple years old
and PCI slots should be fine I would think.

Yeah, should be.

Unless there is different speed PCI slots.

There is, but thats unlikely to be the problem.

Any help would be great...thanks!!