Old August 11th 03, 03:12 AM
Frank McMahon

Default Western Digital USB 2.0 external HD speed problems...

It's a 160 GB / 7200rpm -
http://westerndigital.com/en/products/wd1600b008.asp

Setup went perfect however I can't seem to get the speed where it should be.
I am formatted as NTFS, the USB 2.0 is a PCI Adaptec DuoConnect with 3 USB
2.0 and 2 Firewire ports (I have nothing in the other ports yet).

I run a benchmark program on my internal Western Digital and get 33 MB/sec
read write. Excellent.

Run benchmark's on the external USB 2.0 drive and get Read 10MB/sec and
Write 8315KB/sec

Is this it? Should I not get like 33 MB/sec? I need to edit video and
thought the USB 2.0 would at least be as fast as my internal.

I installed all the latest XP Pro service packs, system is completely up to
date on HD drivers. Also installed the latest Adaptec USB 2.0 card drivers
(Enchanced Host Controler).

I just bought the drive and can return it, but Western Digital tech support
can't figure it out. All they suggest is download the latest drivers and
that is what I have done.

Any other options? Does it sound like there is a problem or is this all a
USB 2.0 external drive can give? The system is a P4, couple years old and
PCI slots should be fine I would think. Unless there is different speed PCI
slots.

Any help would be great...thanks!!

Frank