Old March 10th 21, 11:42 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default How it is possible

David W. Hodgins wrote:
On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 09:55:04 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
I use Samsung's Magician to change overprovisioning on my Samsung SSDs
(https://www.samsung.com/semiconducto...mer/magician/).

However, any partition manager will work where you use it to increase or
decrease the size of unallocated space on the SSD. Because the consumer
SSDs are typically shipped with 10%, or less, by default, you steal
space from an allocated partition, if there are any, to make
unallocated. I keep the unallocated space in one block.

Using linux here. If you reduce a partition size to leave some
unallocated space,
how would the drive controller be informed? The fstrim command only
works on
mounted partitions.

Create a partition in the unallocated area, use fstrim,
then remove that partition again.

Paul