Old December 11th 03, 07:28 PM
Timothy Daniels

"Timothy Daniels" replied tentatively:
"Rod Speed" wrote:

The student computer labs at the local campus of the
University of California use Kingwin removeable drive
caddies, and the lab technicians say that there have
been no problems.

But you did say that they arent exactly high performance drives.

Correct. All I know is their rotational speed - 5400 rpm.

I just called the lab manager, and the channel speeds are
ATA/100, and they've been upgraded to 7200 rpm hard drives
in the Kingwin removeable caddies. The only problems reported
were with the 12" 80-wire ribbon HD cables that came with the
Dell computers - they were too short to reach the expansion
drive bays, and the lab had to substitute standard 18" cables.

Please don't interpret this to mean that all removeable caddy
installations will work as well. They're not part of the ATA specs,
and so their use is, essentially, one's own engineering. But I plan
to use them for backing up my HD, and I think they're a great
convenience.... along with round cables. :-)

*TimDaniels*