Old August 27th 04, 05:09 PM
Mike Walsh

IDE expansion cards emulate SCSI. You will need a driver for FreeBSD. The Promise cards I am familiar with have excellent performance with hard drives but poor performance with optical drives. It would be much to your advantage to get your optical drives to work on the motherboard ports.

Zhang Weiwu wrote:

Hello. Recently my FreeBSD keep complaining DMA ICRC error on r/w hdd
(os hangs sometimes). I tried to hang my hdd to both primary/secondary
ide controller in either slave or master mode, and the problem keeps
still. I later turned off dma in the OS thus I no longer get complains.

I think it's enough to say my IDE controllers are broken. I decide I
should by an IDE extend card (I am not sure of the device's English
name, it is a PCI card that has several IDE slot where you can plug ide
hdd/cdrom on it.)

My question: is IDE extend card related to OS? Do I have to buy an
'freebsd complaint' card, or it is not related to OS and any such device
will work?

My FreeBSD IDE controller driver said it could support many controllers,
and the manual says for unknown controllers the max speed is 16/MB
If the IDE extend card has a supported controller, I don't need anything
else to make FreeBSD use it?

--

When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.