Old March 24th 21, 05:44 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Paul[_28_]

Default SSD "overprovisioning"

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

So how come our colleague is telling us we can change the amount of
"overprovisioning", even using one of many partition managers _other_
that one made by the SSD manufacturer? How does the drive firmware (or
whatever) _know_ that we've given it more to play with?

Once you've set the size of the device, it's
not a good idea to change it. That's all I can
tell you.

If you don't want to *use* the whole device, that's your business.
I've set up SSDs this way before. As you write C: and materials
"recirculate" as part of wear leveling, the virtually unused
portion continues to float in the free pool, offering more
opportunities for wear leveling or consolidation. You don't
have to do anything. You could make a D: partition, keep it empty,
issue a "TRIM" command, to leave no uncertainty as to what your
intention is. Then delete D: once the "signaling" step is complete.

| MBR | C: NTFS | unallocated |
\__ This much extra__/
in free pool

Paul