Old October 13th 03, 10:30 AM
Ron Bennett

In article , says...

Do computer repair centers ever replace HDs with smaller ones
and not tell customers? I took my Compaq equipped with
80 gig HD to ****USA but got back a 40 gig. My data wasn't
lost, but the drive is definitely smaler, according to the BIOS
and the label on the HD.

I'd be surprised if they did...

Only exception I can think of is warranty repair of computer equipment
that uses propretary parts...and Compaq is well known for propretary
hardware.

If the computer you brought in was very old, that may be why...but it
really sounds most likely that either...

A. You're mistaken about there ever being a larger HD in there.
-or-
B. They replaced the HD with what they had then (or got mixed up).

In any event, the cost difference between 40GB and 80GB is virtually
nil these days so I doubt such an action would for cost savings alone.

And lastly, be glad your computer data is fine - very often data is
lost and/or programs don't work properly after computer repairs; most
all computer repair shops strongly recommend users to maintain backups
at all times and further take no responsibility for lost data, etc.

Ron Bennett