Old February 27th 14, 02:59 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gernot Hassenpflug

Default Canon BJC-50-Not Working With Gutenprint in OS X 10.6.8 Anymore (Fixed-sort of)

"Jonathan L. Parker" writes:

On 2/26/14 9:33 AM, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

Hi Jonathan,

That should already be a lot of information there in the 3rd column,
about the driver used.

OK. I think I'm with you now. The third column has "Canon BJC-85" on
that line, and that's all.

Thanks a lot. I don't know what it means, but judging by the name it is
not a gutenprint-supplied driver.

If you click on the printer queue name in the 1st column, a page is
shown for that printer, with the following information, where the URI is
the "Connection":

Copied and pasted:
lpd://192.168.1.103/canon

That's the share name I gave it on the desktop computer it's connected
to, not the driver.

Understood.

I think what is happening is that you are using perhaps the Foomatic PPD
fort he BJC-85, which uses Ghostscript and Foomatic filters to do
conversions of the data.

If you can supply the driver and connection, that would be enough to
tell what software is now supplying your driver.

Here's the whole printer page the way it appears now:

Location:
Driver: Canon BJC-85 (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection: lpd://192.168.1.103/canon
Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=oe_na-letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided

If you can access the PPD file itself (not sure how to do that, maybe in
/var/log/cups/error_log once debug is enabled in the CUPS interface).
The PPD for Foomatic/Ghostscript appears to be named as follows:

Canon-BJC-85-bjc600.ppd

I would like to investigate how/why the gutenprint driver does not work
for you, but I understand if you do not have time to help debug this.

Regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug
--
NNTP on Emacs 24.3 from Windows 7