Old February 26th 14, 03:33 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gernot Hassenpflug

Default Canon BJC-50-Not Working With Gutenprint in OS X 10.6.8 Anymore (Fixed-sort of)

"Jonathan L. Parker" writes:

On 2/25/14 8:52 PM, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

"Worked": does that mean it printed in color also?

Yes. It works just like it does in Windows.

2. The BJC-85 driver you are now using is not the gutenprint one, but a
different one? What is the exact URL of the print queue now that the
driver is installed?

Not quite sure what you mean. Maybe I should remind here that I'm
running Mac OS X 10.6.8 and not Linux.

Sorry, I meant URI.
The URI has nothing to do with linux, it is determined by CUPS.
Basically, where the heck does the driver come from you are using? The
URI will tell us.

Afraid I don't know where to find that for you in OS X. I did go to
the CUPS webpage (localhost:631) but didn't see anything there
resembling a URI. The drivers both there and in the Print and Fax
wizards in OS X show up in lists. I chose the driver from that list.

Hmm, if you are in the CUPS web interface, and you go to the "printers"
tab, do you see the following columns of information, with a line per
printer?

1st column: Queue Name
2nd column: Description
3rd column: Make and Model
4th column: Status

Here is my output for each column from that tab for my iP4500:

1. Canon_iP4500_series
2. Canon iP4500 series
3. Canon PIXUS iP4500 - CUPS+Gutenprint-CVS v5.2.10-pre1
4. Idle

That should already be a lot of information there in the 3rd column,
about the driver used.

If you can tell me where to find the URI I'll look for it again. It
may be a while before I can get back with you, though. Got a
full-time job to attend to and there's the time zone difference
between us. I'll do what I can when I can.

If you click on the printer queue name in the 1st column, a page is
shown for that printer, with the following information, where the URI is
the "Connection":

Location: blank

Driver: Canon PIXUS iP4500 - CUPS+Gutenprint-CVS v5.2.10-pre1 (color, 2-sided printing)

Connection: usb://Canon/iP4500%20series?serial=200E70

Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=om_cd5-inch_116.06x116.06mm sides=one-sided

If you can supply the driver and connection, that would be enough to
tell what software is now supplying your driver.

Cheers,
Gernot