Old June 12th 04, 11:45 PM
Uwe Holter

"Mike Kohary" wrote:

Just my opinion, but I think the poor support for the format more than
erases any supposed reliability benefits,

That very much depends. If you want to use the media in various different
computers, you're probably right. If you intend to use it only in your own
PC or a compatible DVD-Recorder, the advantages of DVD-RAM may easily
outweigh the disadvantages.

and the drag-and-drop
capability is trivial. You'd surely be using at least a simple backup
program anyway. (And for that matter, you can drag-and-drop to DVD-R
or DVD+R anyway.)

But you can't use them with random access like a hard drive -- which you
can with DVD-RAM.

In 10 years, you will have much more trouble reading a DVD-RAM disc
than you would a more standard format. That's an important
consideration for archival backups.

There have been many reports yet of DVD+-RW media that was not readible
anymore after only a few years -- I'm in doubt that you can rely on being
able to read those discs in 10 years either.
DVD-RAM media recordings are expected to have a longer durabilty than DVD+-
RW.