Old June 7th 04, 04:16 PM
Paul

In article , "James Bald"
wrote:

Greetings

I've been trying to install the drivers from the ASUS CD,
but the audio hardware is not well recognized with this driver..

OS: Windows98SE
Control Panel, RealTek AC97 audio properties
Device Status: The NTKERN.VXD, MMDEVLDR.VXD ...
for this device could not load the device driver. code (2)

It is enabled in bios 1002 of the motherboard.
I wonder what NTKERN.VXD does in a win98se system.

How do I fix this. I know other did under same os.
TIA,

I would start by uninstalling the driver you installed from the
CD, so there aren't any remnants to foul up the works.

The Asus web site has a driver and an application level package
(maybe the mixer panel ?) for download. It is curious that the
driver doesn't list Win98se, although the Realtek website does
list Win98se as supported, at least for their current release.

http://www.asus.com/support/download...eluxe&Type=All

Here is the Realtek site. It has the latest driver, but I don't
see the application part. Maybe this means you'll be using the
application part from the Asus site, and the driver part from
the Realtek site.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&Software=True

The Realtek site mentions DirectX8 as a prerequisite, but that
may just be posturing (for Microsoft's benefit) on their part:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/ac97readme.pdf

HTH,
Paul