Old December 19th 03, 01:33 AM
lwags

Thanks!
"Tom Scales" wrote in message
Ah, Windows 98SE. It does not support over 512MB of memory properly.

There
is a tweak to the System.ini file that will let it support it, but it
doesn't bring any value -- in fact if I remember, it actually slows it

down.
I run XP on my 56xx, so I didn't think about this problem.

Here's the link to the workaround. It will probably wrap, so you'll have

cut and paste it into your browser:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...12&Product=w98

Tom

"lwags" wrote in message
. ..
So, I exchanged the PC133's to PC100's.

Interesting thing. I can install all three chips and the system sees

them.
But, the computer will not completely finish the boot to Win98SE.
Basically, when trying to load AVG virus protection and then Zone Labs

Pro,
it stalls. Takes along time getting there also.

But, if I just install two sticks - 512mb - boots completely, fast, etc.

What is going on. Its not a bad stick, as I have rotated them, etc.

Just
can't seem to handle the 784mb.

Tom?

Larry
"lwags" wrote in message
Chips on both side. But PC133. Going to exchange for PC100.

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
If they are PC133 they are likely double density. Do they have

chips
on
one
side or two. If just one, they are the wrong sticks. The symptom is
accurate
for the problem.
"lwags" wrote in message
.. .
Actually, I'm not sure.

They are Kingston chips. But they are 133 chips. Told they will

still
work
in a 100mghz board, which they seem to do. System runs fine, just

only
recognizes the first 384mb of memory.

Actual Kingston part number is KVR133X64C2/256 modules. Will have

do
Kingston site search to see if they are single density.

Thanks for the info.

Larry
"Tom Scales" wrote in message
Did you make SURE you got the older single density sticks as

suggeted
in
the
original reply? Newer double density sticks won't work.

My 5600 has 768MB, so I know it works.

Tom
"lwags" wrote in message
.. .
Well, it wasn't 3x256. Looks like the 3x128 or 384 is the

max.
Bought
3
256 sticks and no luck. I think I have the latest BIOS, but

have
you
ever
tried to find an update? Impossible.

$280 down the drain unless I can return.