Old February 23rd 04, 11:07 PM
ICee

°Mike° wrote:
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:31:44 -0500, in

ICee scrawled:

Bob wrote:
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:07:28 +0000, °Mike° wrote:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:36:35 -0500, in
pan.2004.02.23.18.36.34.334307@ifyoureallywanttok now.com
Bob scrawled:

snip

The other thing is that Windows 98 isn't really capable of
utilizing 512MB of RAM.

Rubbish!

:-), you think so? Ever see a Win9X use 512MB RAM? I doubt it.
This has been well known for years, here's an excerpt from:

http://www.memorystock.com/windows-memory.html

"Note that if you are upgrading your RAM memory, a computer using
Windows 95 or Windows 98 (first edition) will not recognise more
than 256MB. Moreover RAM that Windows cannot cache (recognise) will
be accessed as slowly as the virtual memory swap file (win386.swp)
that Windows creates on the boot hard disk drive to use when the
amount of RAM runs out. Therefore, adding too much RAM can slow
down a system considerably. Unless you are using a non_Windows
operating system such as Linux, and unless you employ the fix a
link to which is provided below, your must have Windows 98SE or run
a later version to use more than 256MB of RAM.

This limitation does not apply to Windows 2000 and Windows XP."

Haven't you wondered why the title of the article you quote is "I
have more than 512MB of RAM. Why does Windows say I'm out of
memory?"? And, that it mentions 512 MB in most of the article, and
256 MB in just one paragraph? It's obviously a typo, or the person
writing it has no idea what he/she is talking about.
When I was running Win98SE with 512 MB of RAM, the system would
typically use most of it (much more than 256 MB) when running a
game, or a number of programs at once. A nice utility for checking
memory use, as well as setting Vcache and a number of other
parameters, is Cacheman: http://www.outertech.com/

Thank you for injecting a little sanity.

You're welcome, °Mike°. It's hard to understand why he/she believes
that particular article, while discounting Microsoft's own documentation
on the subject.