Old April 22nd 19, 05:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

Default Major upgrade

Paul wrote:

I use my clamp-on DC ammeter on new builds, and the idle power
on CPUs has mysteriously been 13W or so, for a long time. But I
don't own a Haswell, and don't know how low those drop while
in service. (Also never owned a Prescott, which leaked like crazy.)

And sleep on the machine with four DIMMs is 5W and sleep
on the machine with eight DIMMs is 7.5W (different RAM generations).

A wattage meter (KILL-A-WATT) is in line with my system box, including
an i7-6700K and a humongous old GeForce GTX980. It is almost always
between 50 W and 60 W, including power supply inefficiency.