Old January 11th 06, 11:27 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

Default How to make a pen driver appear (temporarily) not working ? -Please HELP!!

Note: spoiling the FAT metadata using the bytewise disk editor (and I
envision no other ways of spoiling the flash drive temporarily) will cause
Windows to show "The disk is not formatted, do you want to format it now?" box.

And, if the happy user will press Yes, the drive will be wiped.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

http://www.storagecraft.com

wrote in message
oups.com...

I have an uncommon question.

I have a USB drive (it's a 4Gb pen drive). What I need is a trick so
that if one tries the drive on any PC it will appear to be not working
(even to an experienced user).

On the other hand the trick must be safe and reversible, that is,
whenever I want the drive must work again perfectly.

Data can be lost, but the drive must NOT suffer any damage.

Would you kindly suggest some possible ways to do this trick?

Thank you very much!!

-Pam

PS
what about if I start formatting it anf interrupt the formatting? Would
I damage it?