Old June 1st 04, 07:07 AM
Mark

"Auto Insert Notification" means that the operating system will
regularly strobe the CD-ROM drive to see if a CD has been inserted. If
so, it will "auto-run" whatever startup program it finds (if there is
one) there. Besides the problem you may be having, I have it disabled
it myself because I prefer to be in control of what software starts
running and when it does so!

Try Start; Settings; Control Panel; System; Device Manager; the "+"
next to "CDROM"; double-click the CDROM drive listed there; select the
"Settings" tab; un-check the "Auto insert notification" box if it's
checked.

"Fast Find" and "auto insert notification" are the usual culprits.
Good luck!

"Leachim Sredna" wrote in message ...
I'm intrigued HH.
Just what is AIM and how does one control/enable/disable it?
FWIW, I changed the original CD drive for a burner, but the accessing of the
HD has continued as before.
Thanks,
Leachim

"HH" wrote in message
Dunno about Deskpros, but on some Presarios of that era, Auto Insert
Notification on the CD-ROM drive(s) could cause the HD LED to flicker once
per second. Check in Device Manager in Windows and see if AIN is enabled.
HH

"Leachim Sredna" wrote in message
Hi,
I was given an old Compaq Deskpro with a 350Mhz PII and 6 G Maxtor

hard
drive

(snip)
something regularly accesses the hard disk every two seconds or so,
like a clock or heart beat

the disk acessing would not allow Scandisk or
Defrag to get under way and complete...