Old November 2nd 17, 09:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Default Power Supply Failure?

My 2 Cents wrote in news
On 10/21/2017 8:37 PM, Ben Myers wrote:

I think it's great you are helping a 93 year old keep her mind
active. I've set up a few computers for older folks. You can put the
icon for solitaire and e-mail on the desk top screen so all they have to
do is click the icon after the computer boots up. I like win7
solitaire. You could also put a youtube icon on there and facebook to
try to get her using those.

Grandma wanted us to get her a new pc, saying that when she's 'gone', one
of the 12 grandkids will get it,or one of the 12 great-grand kids will.
Always thinking about everyone else.

So, I got her this:

http://tinyurl.com/y9bzeq3m

when it was on sale for $360.

I set it up on a 27" monitor. I did all the upgrades, and disabled all
telemetry that would cause pop-ups or notifications. I also loaded IE11
(which is not automatically shown, as is Edge). I took all unneeded apps
icons off the taskbar, including Edge and disabled Cortana. I installed
Windows Live Mail 12, which is what is on her Win7 laptop.

I did not activate McAfee. I used the McAfee tool to remove it from the
machine.

The desktop wallpaper is the default blue wave thing, with only a Recycle
Bin icon, an IE11 icon, and a Windows Live Mail 2012 icon.

She has not yet run into the lock screen with "Do you like what you see"
thing. But, if it bothers her, I have a registry hack that will eliminate
that.

BTW, the same small form factor desktop (Inspiron 3668) with the same
specs, is on Black Friday Sale for $329 on the Dell site. It actually is
a pretty nice machine for the price and for general use.