Old December 18th 09, 01:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
tanix

Default Firefox 3.5.6 crashes Athlon X4 based system

In article , "PvdG42" wrote:

"tanix" wrote in message
I have an Athlon 2, x4 620 quad core processor system on\
Asus M4A78 motherboard.

When I run firefox 3.5.5 or 3.5.6 and refresh several tabs in
rapid succession, it freezes the box unde xp sp3.
What happens is task manager - performance tab shows one
of cores going upto 100% of CPU useage, mouse freezes, keyboard
is dead and disk stops flashing every couple of seconds like it
normally does under windows. System is totally dead and needs
to be rebooted. Anyboyd knows anything about it?

Have you asked Firefox support?

Yep, I did. So far, no luck. Its been 2 days already.
But there is so much traffic on this forum, I am not sure anyone
would care about this issue since it is not win 7 related.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/

Do you have access to any other computers where you can see if the issues
occur in other hardware configurations?

Works like a champ on a single core processor.
Never had a problem with it under ff 3.5.5.

I installed Ff on a computer here w/Phenom x4 955 @ 3.6 GHz and 8 Gig,
running W7 Ultimate x64 (as close as I can come to your hardware) and tried
to replicate your scenario. No issues at all.

Well, the thing is it DOES work find under win 7.
Someone said the xp scheduler is crappy and it is not a firefox problem.
Could be, who knows. May be ff just creates some nasty conditions and
scheduler can't handle it.

Someone even said there is a fix for xp scheduler.
But I was not able to find anything so far.

This is pretty bad situation for me. Cause I am doing a lot of important
work and may loose all sorts of stuff if I forget that ff may lock up
the box.

--
Programmer's Goldmine collections:
http://preciseinfo.org