Old June 28th 06, 05:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

Default Packard Bell PB420 motherboard - BIOS error "cannot read/write to CMOS"

I was afraid of that....

She's got a brand-spankin' new Compaq system, but this is the one she's
got all the family history and church stuff on. Guess it's time for me
to start transferring files...

Thanks for your help!

Tim

Ben Myers wrote:
A CMOS read/write failure is catastrophic. It says that the CMOS on the
motherboard is worn out, so the motherboard is history. Do your granny a favor
and do something with a newer computer than an ancient 486. Craigslist around
here (Boston) has plenty of newer computers being given away, or sold for really
cheap. A Pentium III computer is fairly modern, and even a Pentium II has a lot
more life in it than a 486... Ben Myers

On 27 Jun 2006 20:17:28 -0700, wrote:

Hello all,

I am working on an old Packard Bell for my grandmother. When I try to
start it, it gives a 1-1-3 BIOS beep code which, according to the
Phoenix BIOS code page, denotes a CMOS read/write failure. Is there
any way to reset the CMOS so that I can get it to boot?

Thanks,

Tim Griffin