Old November 11th 08, 05:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
William R. Walsh

Default Deskpro EN - RAM advice?

Hi!

Right here it says that all the 815 are limited to 512MB:

Oh, I don't doubt it one bit. I just wonder if that's really true as opposed
to being "officially" true. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen
undocumented support for something that isn't supposed or allowed to work
per the official speculation.

What you are seeing is a defect in the BIOS allowing it to count more
memory than is supported. Not exactly for successful BIOS diddling.

Where the diddling comes in is with the POST error message. At this time it
says "you must uninstall some memory and try again". It simply won't let you
continue. What if it was willing to go right on by? I suspect it might crash
in some creative way later on in the boot process, but who knows?

William