Old November 11th 08, 02:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers[_2_]

Default Deskpro EN - RAM advice?

William R. Walsh wrote:
Hi!

512MB is the limit imposed by the Intel 815 chipset
family... Ben Myers

I read that somewhere, but the Deskpro EN's behavior has me wondering
what would happen. It can and does count up the RAM beyond the 512MB
limit.

Maybe one of these days I'll sit down with one of my assembler books
and try to teach myself about assembly language programming and
program disassembly. Then I can see about trying to Advanced BIOS
Diddling (which may end up being the truth!) ...

William

Right here it says that all the 815 are limited to 512MB:

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/mature/index.htm

What you are seeing is a defect in the BIOS allowing it to count more
memory than is supported. Not exactly for successful BIOS diddling.
Start by getting yourself some old published IBM PC AT BIOS listings,
the various Intel instruction set manuals, Microsoft's MASM (or open
source equivalent). There's a steep learning curve here. I'm on the
downside of that learning curve from the last century... Ben Myers