Old November 8th 08, 06:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers[_2_]

Default Deskpro EN - RAM advice?

Secoh wrote:
On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 02:33:41 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I almost forgot - this computer came with a single 256 mb RAM card in,
DIMM, 133mhz etc. According to Crucial.com it should only have up to
three 128 mb cards. It seems fine. Can I safely add a second one of
these, 256 mb again.

(I have a 64mb card in a drawer as salvage, but it is different speed,
100mhz - would that spoil things if I added it too? Or that and a
single 128 mb card?)

It is slightly cheaper to buy two 128 mb cards than one 256 - is there
any reason why a single 256 mb card would be better? I will probably
buy a second hand card for £6 from an ebay seller with 100% rep - I'm
aware of pitfalls with dodgy sellers there.

Thanks.

You don't specify the exact machine type, but normally yes, you can
add 256MB more.
100 or 133mhz: you might need to adjust in the BIOS/setup disk or it
might do that itself- but the speed difference is neglectable.
Important: you need Compaq-compatible modules. Compaqs are known picky
about that. Buy something that comes out of a Compaq, or ask for the
exact type number and search the datasheet.

No. The 866MHz Pentium 3 implies 133MHz speed memory only... Ben Myers