Old June 22nd 08, 07:52 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
- Bobb -

Default Warranty after replacement ?

"Barry Watzman" wrote in message
That's not right. Replacement machine should be covered by balance of
original warranty (extended or not).

I agree - and told him to call HP directly. There's got to be a way of
changing BestBuy's warranty records with HP. In fact, I would assume that
HP only knows that warranty# 123456 is valid - or maybe - assigned to Best
Buy: not that it is yet associated with " John Smith" until John Smith
registers.

UNLESSSSS Bestbuy keeps the cash - uses their Geek Squad for repair
calls - and never notifies HP at all ?? Just speculation as I've never
used their warranties, but it would be one way to justify in-house
repairs.

That said, unless there is a huge price advantage, you are better off
with retail software than with OEM software (e.g. do not get the
software with the computer, buy it yourself later .... again, unless
there is a huge price advantage).

I suggested he return it to get the OEM version so that he could get the "
Pro Version" of Office.
His came with Excel, Word and OneNote ( which I'll call "package A') and
he COULD get it with " Package B" ( I saw on their site) which included
all of "Package A" + Outlook for $15 more. That package is only available
via OEM ( I saw at HP/MSFT site). To buy just Outlook is $109 retail.

- Bobb - wrote:
I was asked to setup email on a new pc for a friend and when I told him
that it didn't have Outlook on the new PC , that he should return it to
see if he could get Office installed from factory ( rather than spend
$$$ to now go buy it at a store). He said he couldn't return it. I
asked " why not". He told me this story. Does this sound right to you ?

upgraded/extended warranty.
2. gave to employee.
3. After 2 weeks employee says " Pc won't boot".
4. Mgr brings back to Best Buy. They try to repair it but after a few
days they couldn't ( I don't know why) ,so they swapped it for new one
and then told mgr that " since we swapped this for a new one, the
warranty ( which is serial number related) is now void."

I said that there MUST be a way for them to transfer the warranty to
the replacement. He said that he asked and was told that there was
not. I told him to call HP etc... to at least get a refund of the
extended warranty.

Anyone have experience with this ?