Old April 3rd 12, 07:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ben Williams

Default Looking for the FX 8170

Yes, I have an AM3+ motherboard, and my graphics card is an XFX Radeon HD
5770. Any ideas as to how limited this would make my gaming experience? To
put it frankly, if I cannot justify the $400+ cost of a new GPU, I won't do
it. At the end of the day, I want something that will make me competitive,
but not make my wallet cry for mercy.

"rms" wrote in message ...

Folks, I know that this post is probably asking for the trolls to pop up,
but I figure I'll post it anyways. I am running on a Phenom II X4 955. I
want to upgrade, but I am waiting for the FX 8170 to appear...

Firstly, do you have an AM3+ mobo? Secondly, I've had both the x4 & now
the x6, both oc'd to 4ghz, and am sure the gaming bottleneck in my system is
not the cpu, but the videocard (a gtx 470). So, my advice is, get one of
the large but cheaper cpu heatsinks, overclock as much as possible, consider
upgrading the videocard instead of the cpu (I'd suggest a Radeon 7950/GTX
570/GTX 670(not released yet)), consider a SSD purchase, and wait for the
nextgen AMD cpus to arrive, not Bulldozer refreshes.

rms