Old September 25th 09, 07:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

Default Deskpro EN Hard Drive Problem I am stumped.

In article ,
Ben Myers wrote:

wrote:
I have a Compaq Desktop model Deskpro EN that I hardly ever use. It sits
running. I only have one visual basic billing program that I
periodically use. This morning I went to boot it and got an error
message that the file windows 2000 root\system32\ntoskrnl.exe was
corrupted and needed to be reinstalled. I booted off of the Win2K CD and
tried to repair the disk with no luck. I believe and I/O error message
accompanied this. So i decided to take the pc apart to clean out all
dust, make sure all cables are seated, no dust in the contacts, etc and
then went to reboot. Well now, I get no image on the monitor and the CD
sounds like it is spinning up and getting warm but all I get is 2 beeps.
I have retraced my steps, thinking that I reassembled the cables
incorrectly but I do not think so. I am not sure. There is a separate
cable going to the HD, the CDR and the floppy drive. is this correct.
Then each gets power and the CDR gets some smaller connectors. i am
stumped. I am more of a Mac person so I do not really understand how PCs
go together as well. I do know that the cable that goes from the board
to the floppy is of a unique size and cannot have been switched by
accident. That leaves the CDR and Hard Drive. If anyone can figure out
what I may have screwed up, please let me know. BTW, I had a couple of
spare HD lying around and tried both of them with the same 2 beeps. I
just need to get it running so I can contact Western Digital and see
where I go from here. Please help if you can.

First, the beeps are a sign that something is causing the computer not
to boot up, and not even to display anything on screen. I would guess
that possibly a memory module is not seated properly in its socket.

Second, the root\system32\ntoskrnl.exe corrupted is most often a sign of
something seriously wrong with the hard drive HARDWARE. A software
oriented repair procedure won't ever fix it. If and when the computer
is alive and well again (as well as can be expected!), you need to run
diagnostics on the hard drive. All the drive manufacturers have free
diagnotic software that tests the hard drive and often attempts to
repair bad data sectors on the drive by replacing them with spare
sectors. Once the drive is "repaired" (and it should be considered a
very temporary repair!), you can then do a Windows repair and perhaps
get the system to boot up and run. If you can do all that, then either
replace the hard drive or replace the computer... Ben Myers

I removed and reseated the memory and still get the beeps and no video.