Old May 5th 04, 06:50 PM
goblin

"Don McCarter" wrote in
:

Does anyone know of a 64bit version of Linux
that works with the AMD64 CPU?

Thanks, Don

Mandrake 10 x86_64 RC1 works great for me on an A64 3200+ GA-K8TV800. I
haven't tried other distros but I did have plenty of problems with the
Beta-1 of Mandrake 10 x86_64. RC1 is much better, almost no problems.

The only major problem I have with it is it can't read the NTFS
formatted Raid-0 SATA drives. It's not the raid-0 nor the SATA that it
chokes on, but the combination of it being ntfs and bios raid (as
opposed to simple OS striping). I have installed mdk64 (bootable) on the
SATA raid-0 themselves in the past so I'm certain the problem involves
NTFS here. Linux sees it as 2 empty drives instead of one NTFS formatted
drive. My config is:

ide0 = XP Pro 64 [80GB] NTFS
ide1 = XP Pro 32 [80GB] NTFS
ide2 = Mandrake 64 [120GB] ext3
sata0+1 = 240GB [2-120GB with raid-0) NTFS

Linux can be tricky to setup if you have both IDE and SATA hard drives,
and several operating systems. I don't suggest booting any OS from SATA
when you're running both IDE and SATA. It can be done but I've found
errors on the sata drives under that configuration so I'd stay away
booting SATA if you also have IDE running.

One thing I've noticed about mdk64: If you change the amount of ram in
your box after mdk is installed, it won't run correctly anymore. That
problem doesn't occur with XP64.