Old January 3rd 04, 11:54 PM
Rod Speed

"Nehmo Sergheyev" wrote in message ...
Windows XP Home (SP1)
I originally had and still have a 15 GB HD, using
NTFS, which had the OS and everything else on it.

I just installed a Maxtor 80 GB DiamondMax Plus 9 Model 6Y080P0,
which has a 5 MB Buffer, configured (with the jumpers on the back)
as a slave. It shows up Computer Management as Healthy and Online
using NTFS.

The new drive came with the MaxBlast 3 app. The Maxtor
guy on the phone said I could use that to move the OS, but
I'm not clear how. It has a copy function, but then how do I
get the computer to know the OS is now on E instead of C?

- Rod Speed -
Its better to just copy it from the original drive to the new
one and boot with just the new one plugged in on the first
boot after the copy. XP will then see that as the C drive.

You can connect the original drive again after thats been done.

I havent tried doing the copy with MaxBlast.
I have done it with both ghost and drive image.

There is also now www.xxclone.com but I havent tried that either.
.The crucial bit is to only have the new
drive plugged in on the first boot after the copy.

- Nehmo -
Okay, I'm going to try it

- Nehmo -
It didn't work.
MaxBlast seemed to copy all (except a few unnecessary) files. I shut
down unplugged the old drive Restarted a message displayed:
Operating System Not Found

Works fine with drive image and ghost.

I shut down re-plugged in the old drive restarted like normal the
old drive is still the C drive.

Yeah, thats to be expected. You only get a mess when XP
manages to boot off the copy and gets completely confused by
the old drive being visible as well on the first boot after the copy.