Old October 9th 15, 05:31 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Jamie Kahn Genet

Default Best format for USB flash drives nowadays?

Ed Light wrote:

I would never use FAT 32 as it falls apart from crashes in a way NTFS
usually doesn't. I would use NTFS.

But NTFS write support is patchy across OS X versions, IME, so I steered
clear of it and till now used FAT32 for crossplatform flash media.

I just tried formatting a new 64GB USB 2.0 keychain drive (1) as FAT32
and then exFAT, and sure enough read/write was improved with exFAT :-)

(1) The nifty Kingston Datatraveler SE9 which is tiny - though not the
smallest Datatraveler model nowadays, extremely durable with it's one
piece metal case, and lacks the easier IMO to damage USB 3 contacts.

I had my earlier and now too small 16GB model survive on my keychain for
two years, where it was battered by keys, the contents of my pockets,
and rained on several times. I expect I will pass it on to a family
member who can make use of it.