Old April 12th 08, 03:31 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Gary R. Schmidt

Default Where Is My 1TB Big Disk LaCie Drive?

maria wrote:
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:49:40 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

maria wrote:
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 03:11:42 -0400, maria
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 01:53:00 -0400, maria
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 01:07:37 -0400, maria
wrote:

This is the second time it is happening.
I have lost the LaCie drive. It is not listed anywhere.
It has two partitions on it with many thousands of files.
The first time it happened, I disconnected everything
and then reconnected everything, and the drive came
back. I did the same thing 3 times this time, and ... nothing
happened. It is the LaCie Big Disk 1TB drive.
Windows XP, 3.4GB CPU, 2GB RAM.
Thanks!

maria
Well, I disconnected everything again, and then
I let the LaCie drive get cold. Believe it or not,
it came back when I reconnected it.
Obviously, it does have a heating problem.
I read about it somewhere in this group.
Thank you!

maria
It looks like I spoke too fast!
It is dead again.

maria
More on the saga of the LaCie drive.
After several hours of trying to bring it back,
it just happened! I booted the machine with the drive off,
and then I turned it on, and there it was!
The data, including 1756 PSD files from my Photoshop work,
plus ... 60,000 photos that I took myself,
was still there! Unbelievable!

Later ...

maria

you should consider doing backups. They're kind of handy.

Backup, that WAS the backup!

Then it's possibly/probably dying - get a new one (perhaps from a vendor
other than LaCie[1]) and replace it. Now.

Unreliable backups *aren't* backups.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

1 - No, I'm not saying that "LaCie are bad" but as there is a /possible/
problem with this one I'd suggest getting an alternate.

whether you were up them with or not
- Barry Humphries